With less than a month to go, we’re getting excited about our booth at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. We’ve got about 300 kits for making tops to give out to people who are interested in making quilts for us to give to needy children and orphans in countries all around the world, and we’re doing the Fat Quarter Challenge once again. Ann and I have also recently returned from Ethiopia, and we’ve brought some wonderful Ethiopian jewelry, scarves, baskets, carvings and other items that you might be interested in adding to your collections. Here are a few of the things that you’ll see in the booth:
We’ve also received some wonderful quilts from quilters who have donated them to be sold for raising fund to help us get more quilts to more children. When we sell a single quilt at the IQF we normally bring in enough cash to:
• pay excess baggage fees to get 50 quilts to orphans in Ethiopia; OR
• pay for backing and binding for 15 quilts; OR
• pay for postage to get 50 quilt tops to longarmers so they can be finished.
- Turtles, pieced by Marsha Johnson from Florida, quilted by Terri Desmond from Massachusetts; Sisters Star made by Charlotte Kieliszek (this is one of two of the same pattern going to Houston). Charlotte now lives on Long Island. She is from Texas;
- Two quilts, Kaffe Fassett prints and batiks made by Phyllis Wiebe, who lives in Canada;
- Herringbone: one by Phyllis Wiebe. One pieced by Hong Chang from Australia, quilted by Sandy Morawski from Florida;
- Pink and green by Sandy Morawski. Radio Flyer intricate appliqué by Mary Gibbons from Wisconsin;
- Pink and green by Sandy Morawski. Pinwheels by Donna Dellacamera from Connecticut;
- Giraffes, by Eleanor MacMillan of Ontario, Canada;
- Two quilts by Helen Baczynski of Springfield, South Dakota.
- Northern Illinois Longarm Guild members Judith White, Sally Schlatter, Marilyn Miller, Carol Paxton, Nancy Sturgeon (and her friend and binder-buddy Bev!), and Debby Connor;
- St. James the Less Episcopal Church, Northfield, Illinois quilters Jill, Linda, Anita, Betsy and Diane;
- Suzanne Lammi;
- Merridy Pyer (Fat Quarter Challenge Participant);
- Krustun Knell;
- Carol Fairbanks;
- Ruth Blakely;
- Barbara Buckley;
- J. Larson.
Please hover your cursor over the photos to determine which of these beautiful quilts were created by which of these talented quilters, and click on them for a close-up. These quilts are just beautiful, and will be so appreciated by the children who receive them!
Thank you, thank you. Again and again.